A few tips before you get started staining your deck
- Apply stain when the air and wood surface temperatures are between 50°—90°F. Avoid applying in direct sunlight.
- Don’t apply stain if rain is in the forecast over the next 12—24 hours.
- Test a small area first and let it dry to make sure you’re pleased with the result.
- If you’re covering a large area and using multiple gallons, mix them together to ensure color consistency.
How to Finish Wood in 3 Easy Steps | Just Ask Bruce
In this edition of “Just Ask Bruce” from Minwax®, Dave has an old nightstand that needs refinishing and some basic repairs. Instead of buying a new one, he wants to recycle this old piece of furniture to save money and fix it up to last a lifetime.
Minwax® expert Bruce Johnson walks us through a simple, three-step wood finishing process to help Dave with his project :
– Start by sanding the wood with 120-grit, then moving to a 220-grit sandpaper.
– Use a pre-stain wood conditioner to ensure the stain applies and dries evenly, without blotches.
– Apply a wood stain in your favorite shade with a natural bristle brush, along the direction of the grain.
– Add a coat of clear protective finish for that extra bit of shine and long-lasting protection.
Used in this video: Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner, Minwax® Wood Finish™ in English Chestnut, and Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane. Visit https://www.minwax.com for more how-to tips and project ideas.